Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Notes on Teaching Linguistics As a Science

آخـــر الـــمـــشـــاركــــات

+ الرد على الموضوع
النتائج 1 إلى 9 من 9

الموضوع: Notes on Teaching Linguistics As a Science

بروفيسور ترجمة اللغة الإنجليزية الصورة الرمزية د. دنحا طوبيا كوركيس
    تاريخ التسجيل
    28/09/2006
    العمر
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

افتراضي Notes on Teaching Linguistics As a Science

Notes on Teaching Linguistics As a Science

Prof. Dr Dinha T. Gorgis

I've been teaching linguistics for over three decades at Arab universities. Most, if not all, introductory textbooks define 'linguistics' as the scientific study of language without giving convincing justifications (but see David Crystal's (1971): "Linguistics" for that matter, for example).
    Well, I break down the word 'linguistics' into, let's say,
    morphemes starting with 'ics' (science) as in physics, then'ist' (standing for a scientist) as in botanist, and finally [lingu] corresponding
    to Sussure's 'langue', i.e. system of language).
    So three things are involved in the word: (1) the discipline of study,(2) the person specializing in the field of study, and (3)the object of study.

The second question I often ask is: What makes linguistics a science like any other science? In order to answer such a question, a number of criteria must be met. By introducing these criteria, e.g. systematic observation, objectivity, economy, etc., an experienced instructor can easily convince any student in the hard and/or applied sciences, that linguistics is indeed a science. Following this would be a question related to the qualifications of a person who already is/ will be involved in accounting for human language, any language(s). In this regard, something about field linguistics and its pioneers is necessary.

The third obvious question would be: What is language, and how different and/or similar is human language different from other communication systems, such as the animals'? In this case, the spoken form of the languages takes precedence over the written form because not all world languages have written records. A fourth question might be: What is grammar? If my students have already covered phonetics, which is not really part of grammar (and, in my view, not part of linguistics), I normally begin with taxonomic (distributional or segmental) phonology, but remind my students of K. Pike's famous statement: "Phonetics provides raw material, phonology cooks it). If I have not provided an extensive answer to the second question above, I may, alternatively, introduce research paradigms, e.g. empiricism vs. rationalism, in which case I move to morphology next. At this stage, I take grammar to be constitutive of morphology and syntax only, viz. in the post-Bloomfieldian sense. Because English is taught as a foreign language in the Arab world, English is normally taken as the object of analysis with casual references to Arabic. Almost 75% of the course time is allotted to the introduction of English structural/functional and generative approaches to phonology, morphology and syntax. The rest of the course is devoted to semantics and, partly, to pragmatics, in particular speech acts. The content of the course, however, varies from one university to another depending on what allied courses each university offers during the B.A. programme. For example, if a university offers courses in cognitive linguistics, psycholinguistics, discourse analysis, contrastive linguistics, sociolinguistics, applied linguistics, etc., then there is no need to introduce your students to detailed issues within such fields in an introductory course to linguistics; you may only briefly sketch the concerns of each sub-discipline to prepare them for the next stage(s).

The Hashemite University, Jordan; 31 August, 2004.

عـضــو الصورة الرمزية اياد الزوار
    تاريخ التسجيل
    22/04/2008
    العمر
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Wink مرحبا

Thanks alot Mr.Prof. for these valuable informations

تاريخ التسجيل
    28/09/2006
    العمر
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

افتراضي

Dear Iyad,
    Thank you for the remark which I have to correct because this is a teaching/learning forum:

1. "Mr." is never used with "Prof." Generally, "Prof." is used without any other address title. Because an M.A. holder may be a prof., European academics, but not the Americans, have tended to attach "Dr." to "Prof .".
    "2. alot" is two words
    3. English does not pluralise "information" unless preceded by "pieces of". So let me put the incorrect part of your message as follows:

......such invaluable piece of information.

Happiness!
    Prof. Dinha Gorgis

عـضــو الصورة الرمزية وليد نعمان
    تاريخ التسجيل
    29/08/2007
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

افتراضي رد: Notes on Teaching Linguistics As a Science

Thanks alot for these information concerning Teaching Linguistics As a Science.

ثلاثية العاقل من الحكم
    اولاها اذا تم العقل نقص الكلام
    وثانيها ترك ما لا يصلح اصلح
    وثالثها ترك الجواب عن الجاهل جواب
    نقره لتكبير أو تصغير الصورة ونقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة بحجمها الطبيعي

تاريخ التسجيل
    28/09/2006
    العمر
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Dear Waleed,
    You're welcome. But why insisting on repeating the same mistakes made by Iyad?! Please correct them.

عـضــو
    تاريخ التسجيل
    09/10/2007
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

thank you so much prof
    I am an english student
    could you please give me a useful link about the basic things in this sience

عـضــو الصورة الرمزية اياد الزوار
    تاريخ التسجيل
    22/04/2008
    العمر
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Thanks alot Prof..
    In fact , it is difficult to express gratitude through mere words
    May God bless you
    For Areej
    I think , we do not say " I am an English student" unless you are English " , rather , we say " I am a student of English "

MAy be Prof . Denha has anotdher opinion concerning this point

][][§¤°^°¤§][][It's nice to be important ; but it's more important to be nice ][][§¤°^°¤§][][

محاضر ومترجم
    تاريخ التسجيل
    16/08/2008
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

افتراضي Teaching Linguistics as a Science

Dear Dr. Dinha,

Thank you for such invaluable notes. Waiting for more of your contributions

Yours Maan

عـضــو الصورة الرمزية ياسر احمد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    14/07/2007
    العمر
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Thank you very much dear teacher

Your critical view upon the conception of linguistics is quite logical and acceptable I agree with you on it whereas for phonetics I think, it is part of linguistics since we can not have an idea about a given language by depending on its morphology, a language is collaboration between sounds and words as well as jesters.

+ الرد على الموضوع

الأعضاء الذين شاهدوا هذا الموضوع : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.

لا يوجد أعضاء لوضعهم في القائمة في هذا الوقت.

المفضلات

المفضلات

ضوابط المشاركة

• لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
  • لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
  • لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
  • لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك
  •