Islamic University of Gaza, +972 8 2860-700
Gaza, Palestine riffim@iugaza.edu

Date of Birth: January 31, 1960

Place of Birth: Gaza, Palestine

Martial Status: Married

Personal Address: 121/11, Toffah Quarter, Gaza, Palestine.

EXPERIENCE

Islamic University of Gaza Gaza
Professor of Mathematics September 2004-Present
Teach Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels.

Assistant Vice President for Information Technology August 2005-August 2007
Responsible for Academic and e-Learning Technologies in the IT framework of IUG.

University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
Fulbright Senior Visiting Scholar Aug 2003-June 2004
Teach Statistics; Consultant of International Education; Work on the “Use of Technology in Teaching Mathematics in the University.”

Associate Professor of Mathematics June 1998-September 2004
Teach Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels; Teach Technology of Multimedia undergraduate courses. Teach IT-related undergraduate courses.

Community Service and Continuing Education Center, Islamic University of Gaza Gaza
Director of Multimedia Technology Center December 1999- 2002
Supervise many multimedia projects and Web site design; Teach Multimedia and Web Design short courses; Utilize and manage many IT and Educational Multimedia related workshops; Manager of the WebCT Pilot Project; Supervisor of the Arabic Digital Talking Books Project.

Community Service and Continuing Education Center, Islamic University of Gaza Gaza
IT Senior Trainer August 1994- 2003
Teach IT, Multimedia Authoring, and Web Design and Programming short courses and workshops.

Department of Mathematics, Islamic University of Gaza Gaza
Chairman September 1997-September 1999
Chairman of the Department of Mathematics; Head of the Graduate Committee.

Department of Mathematics, Islamic University of Gaza Gaza
Assistant Professor of Mathematics June 1993-June 1998
Teach Advanced Calculus, Statistics, Probability Theory, Differential Geometry, and Technical Computing undergraduate courses; Teach Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics graduate courses.

Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University Evanston, Illinois, USA
Teaching and Grading Assistant August 1988-May 1993
Teach Introductory Probability and Statistics undergraduate courses; Grade graduate Probability Theory Courses.

Department of Mathematics, Islamic University of Gaza Gaza, Palestine
Lecturer January 1986-July 1988
Teach undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics courses.

Department of Mathematics, Ohio University Athens, Ohio, USA
Teaching Assistant August 1984-October 1985
Teach undergraduate Calculus courses; Grade undergraduate Calculus courses.

EDUCATION

Northwestern University Evanston, Illinois, USA
PhD in Probability Theory: Specializing in Reflecting Brownian Motion; August 1988-1993
GPA: 3.98

Ohio University Athens, Ohio, USA
Master of Science, Mathematics; August 1984 - September 1985
GPA: 3.95

Mansoura University Mansoura, Egypt
Bachelor of Science, Mathematics and Education; September 1979 – June 1983
GPA: 3.5

PUBLICATIONS

• Riffi, M. I. (2006), On the Spacings of Exponential and Uniform Order Statistics, Al-Aqsa University Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (2006), Moments Through Tail Probabilities of Nonnegative Integer-Valued Random Variable, Al-Azhar University-Gaza Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. and Tong, S. (2004), Method of Computing the Norm Given by Partitions and Weights, American Mathematical Society.
• Riffi, M. I. (2004), Moments of a Stopping Time Related to Order Statistics, Islamic University of Gaza Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (2003), Incomplete Factorials and Some Combinatorics Identities, Islamic University of Gaza Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (2003), Moments Equalities for Nonnegative Integer-Valued Random Variables Revisited, Turkish Journal of Mathematics.
• Riffi, M. I. (2003), On the Stop-Loss Transform Properties and Ordering, Rajasthan Academy of Physical Sciences.
• Riffi, M. I. (2003), Defining a Beta Distribution Function Using a Stopping Time, Rajasthan Academy of Physical Sciences.
• Riffi, M. I. (2002), Towards an e-Learning Strategy at The Islamic University of Gaza, Preprint.
• Riffi, M. I. (2002), Moments Equalities for Non-negative Integer-Valued Random Variables, Islamic University of Gaza Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (2002), Conditional Independence and Determination of Probabilities, Islamic University of Gaza Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (2002), Distributions of Spacings of Order Statistics, Islamic University of Gaza Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (1999), Publishing Mathematical Expressions on the Internet, Open Quds University Proceedings.
• Riffi, M. I, Sarsour, J. (1998), On the Equality of Probability Measures, Islamic University of Gaza Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (1997), On the Reflecting Bessel Process, Islamic University of Gaza Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (1997), The Treasures of the Internet, CSCEC Publications.
• Riffi, M. I. (1996), Short-Time Asymptotic of Neumann Heat Kernel on the Sphere, Islamic University of Gaza Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (1996), Design Your Own Home Page, CSCEC Publications.
• Riffi, M. I. (1995), Skew Product of Reflecting Brownian Motion, Mu'ta University Journal.
• Riffi, M. I. (1995), An Introduction to the UNIX Operating System, Islamic University of Gaza Journal.

MASTER THESES SUPERVISION

August, 2003
Thesis Title: "A Stopping Time Related to Order Statistics."

February, 2002
Thesis Title: "On the Kernel Density Estimation."

May, 2001
Thesis Title: "Order Statistics and Their Applications to Parallel Systems."

January, 2000
Thesis Title: "Simple Linear Regression with Errors in Variables."

April, 1999
Thesis Title: "Approximating Random Density Functions Using Wavelets."

PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS

July, 2004
“Teaching and Learning Online.”

August, 2004
“Designing Your Online Course.”

April, 2003
“Using Technology in Teaching Mathematics.”

August, 2002
“Towards an e-Learning Strategy at IUG.” Presented a strategy for the implementation of an e-learning environment at IUG.

March, 2001
“Multimedia and Education.” Presented a description of the benefits of using multimedia to produce educational materials to support a traditional class.

September, 200
"Typesetting Using LaTeX." Presented a lecture on how mathematics teachers can use LaTeX to type the mathematical expressions and symbols.

May, 1999
"Efficient Teaching of Mathematics." Presented a description of how the teacher can motivate his/her students to learn mathematics.

May, 1998
"Mathematica as a Technical Computing Environment." Presented how mathematics teachers can use Mathematica in the mathematics classroom.

SKILLS

Computer Proficiencies: LaTeX; Macromedia Director 8.5, Macromedia Flash MX; SPSS 10, Minitab 13,
PowerPoint, & Word; JavaScript, HTML, XML, MathML; Mathematica 4.1, MATLAB; UNIX and Linux Operating Systems.

Language Proficiencies: Very good English, intermediate Hebrew, reading French.

Communications: Very good communication skills.

HONORS AND AWARDS

October, 2003
Fulbright Scholarship to do research on “Using technology to teach mathematics.”

December, 2001
Received a grant from Quakers Palestine Youth Program (QPYP) to attend the WebCT UK-Ireland User Conference in Coventry, UK.

November, 2001
Received a grant from Quakers Palestine Youth Program (QPYP) to attend the Techshare 2001 Conference in Birmingham, UK.

September, 1995
Received a grant from French Cultural Center in Gaza to attend the First School Conference: "Stochastics, Dynamics, and Networks: Theory and Applications", Marseille, France.

1988-1993
Received the AMIDEAST Scholarship for the my PhD program in Probability Theory, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA.

1988-1993
Received a GA and TA from the Department of Mathematics of Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA.

1984-1985
Received a GA from the Department of Mathematics of Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, USA.

CONFERENCES ATTENDED

March, 2006
First International Conference of Natural and Applied Sciences, Al-Aqsa University, Gaza, Palestine.

August, 2002
Second Mathematical Sciences Conference of the Islamic University of Gaza, Gaza, Palestine.

December, 2001
WebCT UK-Ireland User Conference, Warwick University, Coventry, UK.

November, 2001
Techshare 2001 Conference, Birmingham, UK.

September, 1999
Information and Education Technology, Open Quds University, Amman, Jordan.

December, 1998
First Mathematical Sciences Conference of the Islamic University of Gaza, Gaza, Palestine.

September, 1995
First School Conference: "Stochastics, Dynamics, and Networks: Theory and Applications," Marseille, France.

September, 1994
Second Jordanian Mathematical Conference, Amman, Jordan.

WORKSHOPS ATTENDED

February 12-18, 2000
"Principles of Java Programming."

December 13-17, 1998
"Building Interactive Media for Technical Education and Training Using Multimedia Software Tools."

ACTIVITIES

• Manager and System Administrator for the ongoing WebCT Pilot Project at IUG
• Consultant of QPYP for developing Arabic Digital Talking Books for the visually impaired persons
• Holder of the WebCT Knowledge Test Certificate
• Member of the American Mathematical Society
• Former member of the Community Service and Continuing Education Center
• Member of the executive committee of the Palestinian Society for Mathematical Science in Gaza
• Member of the Graduate Committee of the Department of mathematics of IUG
• Former member of the committee for establishing a LAN at IUG

PROJECTS

• Designing an accessible Web Site for IUG's Assistive Technology Center for visually impairment persons
• Creating a documentation and archiving CD-Rom on architectural heritage sites in the historic city center
• Designing educational multimedia CD-Rom for the environmental awareness
• Training governmental and local institutions employees on professional Web site design
• Training some of the PSC staff on using Macromedia Director for the TV production
• Training IUG instructors and technical staff on designing online courses using WebCT